Thursday, July 22, 2010

What's For Dinner

I enjoyed something easy, easy, easy and delicious for last night's dinner.

Searching the grocery aisles for dinner inspiration yesterday, I found something called "Recipe Inspirations" .  That's what McCormick calls its packet of premeasured spices enclosed with a recipe card.  The presentation is appealing and it I decided to plunk down $1.99 for the "Rosemary Roasted Chicken with Potatoes."  I normally would consider that too expensive for small amounts of spices that I could combine myself, except that I didn't have the rosemary.  When I added up the cost of the packet, the chicken and the potatoes, I spent slightly less that I was going to spend on a ready-made roasted chicken with no potatoes.  And I made it myself!


Check out their web site for lots of ideas, including 30 minute meals and meals for under $3.  There is information on spices for health and also a recipe finder using ingredients you have or want to use.  I have read that McCormick herbs and spices are gluten free.

Here's the recipe from the seasoning packet I bought, slightly different from the recipe on the McCormick site (linked in the title) which uses spices and seasonings from your own kitchen.
My comments are in blue.
McCormick's description:  This one-pan supper is delicious served simply with a fruit or vegetable salad alongside. Paprika and rosemary deliver a double hit of antioxidant power.  
My take:  Easy, quick, and delicious!

Rosemary Roasted Chicken with Potatoes
INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons olive oil
Seasoning Packet Ingredients:
2 tsp McCormick® Paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Rosemary Leaves, finely crushed
1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Black Pepper, Coarse Ground
1 teaspoon McCormick® Minced Garlic (or 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Garlic Powder
* * * * * 
1 teaspoon Sea Salt from McCormick® Sea Salt Grinder (I used regular salt)
6 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed (about 2 pounds)
1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Mix oil, paprika, rosemary, sea salt, pepper and garlic powder in large bowl. This will look like paste.  Add chicken and potatoes; toss to coat well. Arrange chicken and potatoes in single layer on foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan sprayed with no stick cooking spray.  I used a Pampered Chef pan with no pan preparation.
2. Roast for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender, turning potatoes occasionally.  I forgot to turn the potatoes and it turned out fine.

No comments: