Monday, August 09, 2010

Monday Morning Movie: The Food and Climate Connection

I was inspired this morning by Christy Hardin Smith at her blog Home Celebration.  She got me thinking about ways to connect some dots about food, health, and justice.


The Food and Climate Connection from WhyHunger on Vimeo.

The video is a beautiful introduction to justice relating to food production.  I am challenged to be more intentional about my part of the food cycle:  choosing what to eat and where to buy.

I recommend Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life.  It's about a family's year-long commitment to eating only locally-produced seasonal food.

My next book to read is Frances Moore Lappe's book Getting A Grip 2: Clarity, Creativity and Courage for the World We Really Want.  I plan to participate in the discussion when Christy hosts a FireDogLake Book Salon with Frances Moore Lappe on August 28 at 5:00 p.m. ET.

These are steps I hope will lead me to live in a healthier way personally and to participate in a more just world.  I'm sure I will have more to say about healthy living after my great big yearly checkup appointment on Wednesday.

P.S.  Found Back to Basics, a site that describes itself interested in some of my favorite food-related things:  "gluten free, vegetarian, and agricultural policy issues, reviews and news."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love seeing people paying attention to the food they eat! as a nearly life-long vegetarian with three veggie from birth kids, I always want to applaud when people stop and consider where their food comes from, and what it's made from/grown with. My kids and I also work with homeless through a group called Project Downtown, so the hunger issues are also sooooo critical. Thanks for sharing the video and the resources.

Unknown said...

BTW, just noticed you're in PA...land of the incredible soil! I lived in a tiny village there for about 10 years...and got spoiled shopping for fruits and veggies at Roots in East Petersburg. Nothing like that in South Florida!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

This is so interesting--and an area of my life which I really want to do better. I've jotted down the books you suggested. Thank you!

Unknown said...

I also recommend The Omnivore's Dilemma (book) and Food, Inc. (movie, available on Netflix instant play). We CAN bring about change!